…or at least hasn’t, yet.
- Panettone. Don’t you dare call it “fruitcake!” This seasonal loaf of deliciousness is a holiday staple for me, and it’s still currently well-stocked in places like Wal-Mart and Trader Joe’s. I tend to buy myself a couple of the mini ones every now and then and try to keep my consumption somewhat reasonable… but my husband knows what I’m about and goes straight for the large size when he’s surprising me! Little P. has an egg allergy so sadly he has to miss out, but someday I’ll make my own (this recipe looks pretty good) with some Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer and see how that works!
- Christmas lights. So many people are actually UPPING their Christmas decorating game in response to the pandemic this year, and it’s amazing. There’s nothing I love more than driving through a well-decorated neighborhood with Christmas tunes on deck and a seasonal beverage in hand. Which brings me to…
- Seasonal beverages. I’ve called Dunkin Donut’s Vanilla Chai “Christmas in a Cup” since I was in high school, and it’s still hard to beat. However, I’m also not one to pass up a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha or Egg Nog Latte. I’m also happy with your typical supermarket Egg Nog – with just a sprinkle of nutmeg, of course.
- Holiday tunes. I’ll be honest – it’s early November, and I’ve already been annoyed that I can’t find holiday music on the radio. I haven’t resorted to streaming it – yet – but if I don’t find it soon, I will! For me, it’s nothing but holiday music ad nauseam from November to January. Hate me if you want to.
- Christmas movies. I’m not a Hallmark Christmas kind of girl, but I am a sucker for my favorites – It’s A Wonderful Life, The Santa Clause, All I Want for Christmas (with Thora Birch, not JTT), Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, A Charlie Brown Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, White Christmas, and yes, I even fit a viewing of Die Hard in there!
Of course, the best part of the holidays are the people you share it with. I love making gingerbread houses, salt dough ornaments, and decorating Christmas cookies with Little P. every year. This year, we have Baby P. to join in the fun, too!
What are your favorite holiday traditions?